As common with all congresses hosted by ZDS, the speakers at INTER ICE congress are also experienced specialists in their respective subjects who are able to provide a professional audience with valuable advice, suggestions and experience reports to support their corporate development.
Please have a look at the following profiles of some lecturers for INTER-ICE 2015.
• Education: Master in Food Engineering – Dairy applications
E.N.S.A.I.A (Superior National School of Agronomy and the Food Industries) - FRANCE
• 2 years as a Quality & Process Engineer in the Sugar industry
• 7 years as R&D Project manager in the Dairy industry (fermented products)
• 4 years as Technical Category Manager Europe (Bakery & Cereals then Dairy & Desserts) in the Flavor industry
His lecture: Sugar and fat reduction in ice cream from a flavor perspective
• Since 1990 Application Engineer and then Technical Service Manager at Maizena, Cerestar and at last Cargill in Krefeld with the main focus on dairy industry / ice cream / fruit processing.
• Coordinator and later on Advisor in the Application Centre EMEA Dairy & Frozen Desserts. Currently Technical Service Manager for Specialty Sweeteners as Stevia, Erythrit and Trehalose for Cargill Starches and Sweeteners in EMEA.
Member of the ZDS's ice cream committee since 1990 and chairman of the advisory board since 2001; Chairman of INTER-ICE organization committee since 2007.
Title of his lecture: Challenges of calorie reduction of ice cream
• Marketing specialist with DuPont Nutrition & Health
• Based in Brabrand, Denmark in a team responsible for industry marketing in Europe, Middle East and Africa
• Working primarily with marketing related to frozen desserts, oils & fats and bakery industries
• Educational background in marketing and business administration
• Professional career in marketing, advertising
His lecture: Ice cream market figures and trends with a global perspective, but from a European angle.
Jamie Fortescue, British, born 1966, joined Starch Europe as Managing Director in January 2012. From 2004-2011, Jamie was the Director General of the European Spirits Organisation, CEPS.
Prior to joining CEPS, he was the director for international corporate affairs at the employment agency, Randstad, based in Amsterdam (1997-2004) and an account director at the public affairs consultancy, EPPA, based mainly from their offices in London and Brussels, but also Madrid and Warsaw ( 1992-1997).
Before becoming involved in EU public affairs, Jamie worked in third world development (at London based Planco Consulting from 1989-91, and as a trainee at DG Development of the European Commission from 1988-89). Jamie was educated at Eton College and the University of East Anglia, and has a degree in French and Economics.
His lecture: End of sugar regime 2017
• Dairy Technician
• 15 years in a managerial capacity of a dairy company with an extensive product range of milk powder and whey derivatives for the entire food industry
• Many years of experience in the technology of whey processing
• Since 2002 self-employed as a service provider for the dairy industry and food industry
• Publisher of "manual milk", appearing at Behr's
His lecture: Termination of the EU Quota Regulation on Milk and its Impact on the Pricing and Availability of Dairy Products
• 2009 Completion of the diploma program Food Technology at the FH Weihenstephan
• 2009 - 2010 IREKS GmbH
• Since 2010 DSM Nutritional Product Europe, Food Application Lab
• since 2014 DSM Nutritional Product Europe, Technical Marketing Manager Food
• Food Technology background, with several research positions in food processing and application in the fields of dairy, bakery, food supplements, prebiotics and novel food.
• Two years experience as Product Development Manager in fats&oils industry at Sime Darby Unimills in the Netherlands.
• One year experience as Food Application Specialist at DSM Nutritional Products in Switzerland dealing with broad ingredient portfolio of DSM like carotenoids, vitamins/mineral/Premixes, nutritional lipids, antioxidants and nutraceuticals.
• Nutrition sociologist, studied communications, consumer, culture and media sociology in Trier.
• From 2008 to 2012 he was a researcher at the Department of Organic Food Quality and Food Culture at the University of Kassel.
• 2012 he founded the Office of Agricultural Policy and Food Culture.
• 2014 he received his doctorate with a thesis on "The complexity of nutrition in contemporary society".
• Since October 2014 he works, among others in a DFG project on "Digital self-surveying (in terms of nutrition)" at the University of Trier.
• He was a lecturer at various German universities and colleges of Food sociology, nutrition education and nutrition in the media. In the winter semester 2015/16 he teaches agricultural sociology at the University of Kassel.
His final presentation at the INTER-ICE 2015: Ice-cold seduction - Sociological reflections on cultural function of ice cream
• 09/2011-now sales management / founding member fresh five * Premium Food GmbH
• Sales Management
• Production Planning
• Supply Chain Management
• Product Development
His lecture: Expectations in the market for "Frozen Yogurt"
1981: Graduated as MsC in Chemical Engineering from the Danish Technical University.
1981-1992: Engaged at Aarhus Olie (now Aarhus Karlshamn) as Research Scientist and patent engineer -soy protein R&D
1992-present: Engaged at Danisco A/S (now DuPont N&H), presently as Technical Fellow in the Physical Food Science group.
Main area of work is fundamental research in food ingredient functionality and interactions, using physico- chemical characterisation methods, and transfer of knowledge to practical application, as well as initiation of new strategic research areas.
Research area examples: investigations of microstructure - food quality relations; foam characterisation and development of aeration solutions.
Ingredient expertise is especially within hydrocolloids and emulsifiers with a broad application
focus, e.g. dairy products incl ice cream, bread, cakes, beverages, spreads, fruit preparations, pet food.
Inventor of 8 patents.
His lecture: New method for analyzing ice cream rheology during melting
1971-1974 Food Technology studies at the University of Applied Sciences Berlin/Germany
1974-1978 Food Chemistry studies at the Technical University of Berlin/Germany
1978-1980 Ph.D. thesis in Food Chemistry at Technical University of Berlin
and Federal Health Institute (Bundesgesundheitsamt, BGA), Berlin/Germany: "Development of Analytical Methods for the Investigation of Cosmetic Products containing surface active agents and antimicrobial agents"
1978-1980 Scientist at the Federal Health Institute (Bundesgesundheitsamt, BGA), Berlin/Germany
1980-1984 Scientist at the Technical University of Berlin/Germany
1981-1986 Habilitation Thesis at the Technical University of Berlin/Germany:
"Analysis of microbiocides Isothiazolones"
1986-1991 Assistant Professor at the Technical University of Berlin/Germany
1991-present Extraordinary Professor (apl. Professor) for Food Chemistry at
Institute of Food Chemistry and Food Technology of the Technical
University of Berlin/Germany
1988-present Director/Head of the Food Chemistry Institute (LCI) of the Federal
Association of the German Confectionery Industries (BDSI), Cologne/Germany
Subject of his presentation: Minimization of MOSH/MOAH mineral oil components in confectionery products
• Seit 2012: Secretary General of the Forum for Sustainable Palm Oil
• 2009 - 2012; GIZ: Project Manager of the project: "Sustainable palm oil production in Thailand". Under the program the first time worldwide independent smallholders have reached a sustainability certification of palm oil
• 2007-2008; Co-worker "Sustainable Bioenergy"
• 2003-2006; GIZ: Co-worker "International Forest Policy"
• Studied political science, economic policy and journalism in Münster
• 2004 - 2009: Study of Food Chemistry at the Technical University of Braunschweig - Dipl.-LMChem. / 1st state exam
• 2009 - 2010: training for state-certified food chemist at LAVES - 2nd state exam
• 2011 - 2015: Doctorate at the TU Braunschweig - performing at DIL in Quakenbrück, theme "atomic force microscope examinations for adsorbing emulsifiers of sucrose particle surfaces in cocoa butter-based suspensions"
• Since 2015: Researcher at DIL in the field structure and functionality under the direction of Dr. Ute Bindrich
Her lecture: Possibilities of influencing ice crystal growth by multifunctional microgel networks and ice stucturing proteins
• Certificated Food chemist, doctorate in Biochemistry
• 25 years in the food industry
o POWER Europe R & D: Product Developers
o Rowntree Mackintosh GmbH: Head of QA, legal, product development
o Nestle S.A. (Switzerland): International Food Law
o Nestlé Germany AG: Head of Quality Management,
Head of Procurement, Supply Chain Management, member of the board
o Nordzucker AG: CEO
• Since 9 years interim and crisis manager for the food and feed industry
o Management on time
o Crisis Management
o mediation between industry and industrial & surveillance authorities
o media training, communication management
• Honorary Professor TU Braunschweig for Industrial Quality Management
• Scientific Advisory boards for feed and food industry
• 400 Presentations and Publications
• Studies of agricultural sciences at the University of Giessen
• Since 1993-now employed by DLG eV in different functions
• Since 2009-today Head of Department of Sustainability and Rural Areas
• From 2012-2015 project manager of the project "Development of a sustainability management system for holding cattle farms: feeding, resources, climate, animal welfare (funded by DBU)
Main topics: Measuring the sustainability of the management of agricultural holdings on the basis of the DLG sustainability standards with science-based indicators (ecology, economy, social affairs) and evaluate.
Her lecture: Sustainability in milk production
Susanne Roenfeldt Nielsen holds a master in food science from Copenhagen University (The Royal Veterinary & Agricultural Highschool) and has the last 17 years worked for Chr. Hansen Natural Colors A/S in various positions
Her lecture: Coloring of ice cream with natural / nature-identical carotenoids
Engineering degree in Biology with a major in Food Technology in the University of Technology of Compiegne (UTC), France.
Since 2006 Project Manager and then Team Leader in Food technology and Bio Process Engineering in ttz Bremerhaven, Germany.
Marie Shrestha has a wide knowledge in R&D projects in the food and biotechnology field with main focus on plant proteins and food processing by-products valorisation by green extraction of bioactive compounds from legumes, tomatoes, olives, grapes, chickpeas, blackcurrants and pomegranate under others. Additionally Marie Shrestha worked in the development of active and intelligent packaging in the frame of European projects NAFISPACK and IQ-FRESHLABEL. Marie Shrestha participated in various national and
European projects since FP6 and also has a nine year experience in management and coordination of European research projects (ex: BIOACTIVE-NET, BRAINHEALTHFOOD, IQ-FRESHLABEL, FRESH-DEMO).
Title of her lecture: Smart labels for hig quality ice cream
• After training as a hotel clerk Anja Tanas began studying at the Fachhochschule Münster in the department Oecotrophologie.1998 concluded it successfully with a diploma.
• Since then she works as a freelance journalist in television of the West German Radio (WDR) in Cologne.
• She is several times winner of the Journalist Award of the German Society for Nutrition (DGE) and the Media Prize of the German Allergists Associations.
• She had held over 4 semesters a lectureship at the Fachhochschule Münster, Faculty of Oecotrophology. She is also a regular speaker for workshops, meetings and seminars in the field of nutrition science and consumer protection.
On the INTER-ICE 2015 she takes over the moderation of the panel discussion.
Mads Wiene graduated as a Food Technician in 1997 and was in 2008 educated as Food Architect.
Has for 13 years been head of R&D at Premier Is, the largest ice cream producer in Denmark.
He has been working as an ice cream application specialist at DuPont/Danisco since 2013.
Title of his lecture: High protein ice cream
• Study process engineering at the University of Karlsruhe (until 1980) • Promotion to Dr.-Ing (Karlsruhe) until 1985 • Establishment of German Institute of Food Technologies DIL, Quakenbrück (until 1991) • Lecturer at TU Munich • Since 1992, Mr. Windhab is Professor of Food Process Engineering at ETH Zurich • Since 1999, Chairman of the Codex Alimentarius Committee for chocolate and Cocoa Products (UNI FAO) • Member of the Organizing Committee INTER-ICE
• Combined process technological and formulation approach for the manufacture of “zero fat all natural” ice cream
• Technology development for the processing of milkshakes based on foamed frozen particles
• Senior Brand Manager with Nestle Ice cream
• Based in Beijing, China
• 10 year's experience in FMCG Marketing.
• Response for Nestle Ice ream Innovation, Renovation and Communication
As part of a video conference she will report on the trends and developments in the Chinese ice cream market.